Simple October

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Candy Cane Cookies

Hello, friends!
Christmas is upon us and all the festivities that accompany the season.
Baking cookies and treats to hand deliver to friends is one of the ways we spread Christmas cheer.
Seeing their faces light up at the realization that you thought of them is my favorite.

I have many cookie recipes but these are what I call my signature Christmas cookies.
I mean my mom makes them and I'm sure plenty of other people make them, but I call them mine.
Ha! Silly, I know.

My grandma Jeannette used to make them every year.
I wish I knew how many batches she made to feed every one and how early she started her baking. Her freezer was always filled with tins of cookies that she had carefully hand crafted.
She always had every one's favorite and that must have been no easy task as my family is quite large.
They make me think of her and how amazing and wonderful she was.
I miss her terribly sometimes.
Smells trigger my memory the most and I have shed many tears in the grocery store from a wave of nostalgia.

Memories are tricky that way.
They always catch you off guard.

Maybe you will make new family traditions with these or at the very least you will not regret making them. For they are wonderful and taste like Christmas magic.



................................................................................
Candy Cane Cookies

1 c. butter, soft
1 c. powdered sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt

Cream the butter and powdered sugar together. Add the egg and extracts and mix.
Mix in the flour and salt to make the dough.
Divide the dough in half. Add 1/2 tsp. red food coloring to one half and mix well.
Leave the other half white. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
After dough is chilled, roll 1 tsp. of each color dough into a 4" long rope.
Twist. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and curve the top to form the candy cane.
Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for about 9 minutes or just until the edges turn a light brown.
Frost with buttercream frosting and sprinkle with crushed candy canes or red sugar crystals.
(the crushed candy canes are my favorite)

Buttercream Frosting

1 lb. powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. butter, soft

Beat all ingredients together until smooth. Enjoy!

............................................................................

Do you have a favorite Christmas cookie or tradition that you love?
I would love to hear from you.

Happy Thursday!


No comments:

Post a Comment